While Nat Geo marches on, actions grew by 16% with big moves from The Dodo and BuzzFeed, and Instagram continues to be the engagement winner
New York, NY, April 11, 2017 (Newswire.com) - Shareablee, the leader in social media measurement, today announced its top 10 U.S. Media Publisher rankings for March 2017.
U.S. media publishers accounted for 1.4 billion total social actions (likes, comments, shares, retweets, dislikes). For social actions by platform:
- Facebook: 779.9 million
- Twitter: 76.9 million
- Instagram: 578 million
- YouTube: 9.5 million (excluding views)
The media publishing industry generated 33% of consumer actions across all U.S. brands in March. Total actions for the media publishing industry grew by 9% over February, driven by 16% growth on Instagram.
National Geographic, recently dominant, again took the #1 position with 146.6 million actions. The publisher posted 21% more content on Instagram and gained a huge 40% boost in actions on its channel. UNILAD maintained #2 with 104.4 million actions. Bleacher Report was #3 with 96.1 million actions (+7%). USA Today claimed #4 at 55.5 million actions, with a notable 17% growth in engagement last month. Rounding out the Top 5, The Dodo took flight with 43.6 million social actions, an awesome leap of 46%.
Key Engagement Drivers in March
Total engagement for the top 10 publishers grew by 16% over February. The Dodo’s category-leading growth was driven by its investment in Facebook video. Although posts grew just under 1%, The Dodo saw 40% more actions on its video posts. The top performing post was a video of a father kissing his puppy. The video captured more than 1.2 million actions and over 49 million views.
National Geographic’s performance was driven by a combination of links and videos. Its top post was a video of a water downspout at Lake Berryessa near Napa, California, an engineering marvel set in motion by the area’s heavy rains. The post captured over 300,000 actions and more than 13.6 million views. The top link was to an article of a recently-discovered method to build a beating heart from spinach. The post generated more almost 256,000 actions.
Other notable findings include:
- The Top Five Publishing Brands on Facebook: UNILAD (88.6 million actions), USA TODAY (54.7 million actions), The Dodo (38.9 million actions), Tasty (31.1 million actions), and Huffington Post (18 million actions)
- The Top Five Publishing Brands on Twitter: Bleacher Report (8.8 million actions), The Hill (3.7 million actions), Billboard (3 million actions), The New York Times (2.7 million actions), and Washington Post (2.1 million actions).
- The Top Five Publishing Brands on Instagram: National Geographic (139.2 million actions), Bleacher Report (74.8 million actions), National Geographic Travel (30.8 million actions), Complex (28 million actions), and HYPEBEAST (26 million actions)
- The Top Five Publishing Brands on YouTube (excluding views): BuzzFeed Video (2.3 million actions), MOVIECLIPS (1.1 million actions), Tasty (671,000 actions), Complex News (461,000 actions), and First We Feast (317,000 actions)
For Shareablee’s March rankings of media publishers by category, sports media, and TV shows, please visit https://www.shareablee.com/rankings/
About Shareablee Inc.
Shareablee is the leader in audience-based social media measurement for media publishers, agencies, and brands that want to understand the impact and effectiveness of their cross-platform social media campaigns. Shareablee captures the real-time social media actions of more than 2 billion consumers and parses them across 700+ metrics into its global taxonomy of over 475,000 brands, publishers, TV shows, influencers, and celebrities going back to January 2013.
Shareablee was founded in 2013 by Tania Yuki. Based in New York City, the company has grown to over 60 employees in U.S. and EMEA offices and has clients in 15 countries. The company partners with Facebook, comScore, and Bloomberg. Shareablee is a Facebook Media Solutions partner and one of only 15 companies globally developing on the Facebook Audience Insights API. Shareablee’s roster of platform clients includes the National Basketball Association, WWE, Warner Bros, Procter & Gamble, Hulu, NBC, AOL, and Luxottica, and leading global advertising agencies Publicis, WPP, Maxus, and Interpublic Group.
For additional information, please visit www.shareablee.com.
Nathalie Nuta, firstname.lastname@example.org